Stunt driving legislation came into effect in 2007. This charge has multiple applications.
Anyone caught driving 50 kilometers per hour OR MORE above the speed limit is issued a stunt driving summons for excessive speed, racing or stunt driving. All three wording have the same meaning and consequences. Every Officer is different and they choose which wording they want to charge you with. In the end, it doesn't matter which wording they pick, you need to contact us for this charge. Your Motor Vehicle and Drivers Licence will be seized for one week, nothing can stop this as it's in the legislation. You don't have to pay a reinstatement fee for your drivers licence, it will be issued to you free 7 days later by mail. If you don't get your Drivers Licence back on the seventh day, simply go to Service Ontario and they will issue you a free of charge temporary Drivers Licence on the spot. Be aware it's "7 days to the minute" you can then go retrieve your motor vehicle at the pound (generally a $500 to a $1,000 fee) bring the impound papers the cop gave you, to show the tow company.
Stunt driving can also be applied to numerous other Highway Traffic Act charges. If a driver is charged with careless driving for weaving in and out of traffic, or excessive speed due to the driving conditions at the time, an officer can also issue a stunt driving charge on top of the careless driving charge. If you are sitting at a red light and spinning or smoking your tires (Burn out) while accelerating away, you can be issued an unnecessary noise summons as well as a stunt driving summons for tires breaking traction. Drifting around a corner? Stunt. If riding a motorcycle and you “pop a wheelie,” Stunt. Driving with someone in the trunk? Stunt. Excessive lane changes? Stunt. Sitting at a red light and the second the light turns green, you gun it and make a left turn to beat the oncoming traffic? Stunt. Driving with someone standing or sitting anywhere "on" your car "car roof surfing" Stunt. Winter time in the snow, pulling someone who's "bumper hitching" (hanging on your bumper) Stunt. Of course in the last scenario you'd have to have known someone was hanging on your bumper and willingly drove while they hung onto your bumper. Many of our clients are amazed at the above information.
Facts About a Stunt Driving Charge & Penalties if Convicted:
** Effective November 28 2021 Harsher Penalties For A Stunt Conviction **
If You’ve Been Charged with Stunt Driving Call TRAFFIC STOP®
With a stunt driving conviction on your record, you will suffer serious insurance ramifications similar to a careless driving conviction. Fortunately, TRAFFIC STOP® is here to assist you. Stunt driving is a very serious allegation that requires the expertise and knowledge that TRAFFIC STOP® can deliver for you. We beat these on a regular basis, or have them reduced to a speeding ticket, or to another minor charge.
ONE EXAMPLE OF OUR STUNT DRIVING TRIAL WINS:
I drove to Barrie, Ontario court to run a Stunt Driving trial for my client charged at 138 KM/H in a posted 70 KM/H zone (68 KM/H over the posted limit). From day one, my client said he was going exactly 70 KM/H and the officer was wrong. When I met my client in court to check in, the prosecutor tried to intimidate my client and I by saying, “I’m offering you a 49 over, this O.P.P. Sgt. gives the best evidence around, are you sure you want to challenge him?”
WE SURE DO! LET’S GO! – 2 1/2 hours later my client walked out of court a free man! Charge dismissed. We watched others cop out and plead to 49 over before our trial. I suppose if you admit you were speeding, and got the offer, it could be a good offer which we usually get. In THIS situation, my client risked it all and said “I wasn’t speeding and I will not plead to 49 over.” We won.
EXAMPLES OF OUR STUNT DRIVING NEGOTIATIONS:
1) I attended Blenheim, Ontario court with my client charged with Stunt Driving to wit: 156 KM/H in a posted 100 KM/H zone. My client admitted to this speed but the O.P.P. officer had many errors in her notes and there was an element of “entrapment” on my client. This court is known to NEVER lower a speed on stunt driving charges, you plead guilty or run a trial – period. After the above issues were pointed out to the Crown and the officer, my client was offered a Guilty Plea to speeding 149 KM/H in a posted 100 KM/H zone and couldn’t have been happier!
Sometimes clients agree to the speed but don’t want to risk a trial if offered a fair resolution - which is what happened in this situation.
2) Our client in Kitchener ON, charged with: Stunt driving, Speeding 127/60 & Disobeying Red Light – Reduced to: Speeding 109/60 other 2 charges dropped.
3) Our client in Burlington ON, charged with: Stunt Driving to wit “Marked Departure from normal lane changes” – Reduced to: Change Lane Not in Safety (3 points)
4) Our client in Vaughan ON, charged with: Stunt Driving 162/100 – Reduced to 149/100
5) We have hundreds of files with deals that our clients said to take instead of risking a trial and huge fines, a long licence suspension & the BIG one, jail time.
My “every day” court is Kitchener (for 34 years 5 days/week I’ve been in this one as a cop & paralegal). I’m also a regular in Guelph, Milton, Brampton, Mississauga, Toronto, Brantford and Stratford. We will go to any court in Southern Ontario you need help in.